One of the things that you should know about when you decide to have a tattoo is what would happen with it after the artist finishes his work. It is true that with this one being your first tattoo, the artist should provide you with all the information related to the aftercare as he would want for his masterpiece to be preserved in good conditions.
You should know how much of the ointment you must put on it, an amount enough not to spoil it as you can’t tell what exactly is contained in that formulation that can interfere with the tattoo’s ink and thus ruining it.
So if you are lucky to come in touch with a tattoo artist who is reputable and trustworthy, you will as well benefit from his advices related to the after care. The instructions that you will receive need to be properly followed as it would be quite useless to go through the pain of being tattooed for after that something to go wrong.
The following tips will help you look after your new tattoo:
* Keep the tattoo covered with the bandage for more hours. After you finally remove the bandage do not attempt to bandage it again.
* Clean the tattoo with soap (antibacterial one) with gentle moves; do not press on it or scrub it. After that, rinse the area thoroughly from any traces of blood, soap or even bodily fluids. This procedure can be done every two hours till it is done oozing.
* After the cleaning is over spread some ointment (Vitamin D is highly recommended) on the area that comprises the tattoo. Apply the ointment in a small quantity as you will do this operation several times per day.
* After you are done with ointment you should moisturize the area several times per day as well with an alcohol free and unscented moisturizer.
* Do not take long baths and stay away from pools, not to mention that long exposure to water is not recommended. While showering make sure not to scrub the area and in case you have it on your hand or wrist it is better not to do the dishes for a longer period of time.
* Sun exposure is not recommended as well when the tattoo is still fresh and under healing. If the sun bath is a necessity then make sure that you cover the tattoo with plenty of sun block, otherwise it will get ruined.
* Never scratch the area that is tattooed even if there is some peeling or it scabs up. You should let the body system do its work and the tattoo will heal on its own.
When you have a new tattoo done on your body, treat it with the same care as you would treat an open wound – take care of its hygiene (wash it, keep it in a clean state, moisturize it) and do not expose it in the sun light and in too much water.